Chris Were's recommended apps and websites
A list of useful apps, games and web services. Items listed here are free and open source unless specified otherwise.
Apps listed in this section are done so with Linux users in mind. Some may be available for other platforms but not all.
- Atom - Code editor: lots of useful features for coding, electron-based, available as a Snap.
- Audacity - Audio editor: looks ugly but has lots of features and isn't too difficult to use.
- Draw.io - A simple drawing and chart making program, available as an AppImage.
- Etcher - Burn IMG/ISO files to CD or USB, available as an AppImage.
- Firefox - My day-to-day browser of choice.
- GIMP - My photo and image editor of choice.
- Inkscape - Design and edit vector graphics (e.g. SVG and PDF files).
- Kdenlive - Video editor: reasonably advanced and full-featured, available as an AppImage.
- KeePassXC - One of the best password managers around. Available as an AppImage and as a Snap.
- Krita - A really full featured photo and image editor, available as an AppImage.
- LibreOffice - My office utils of choice, available as a Snap, Flatpak or AppImage.
- OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) - Screen recorder and livestreaming software.
- OpenShot - Video editor: fine for basic video editing, available as an AppImage.
- Peek - A simple app for recording small segments of your screen, available as an AppImage.
- SimpleScreenRecorder - Screen recorder: not as full-featured as OBS but a useful recorder nevertheless.
- RSS Guard - Nice, simple RSS reader available as an AppImage.
- Waterfox - A respin of FireFox with some ethical, privacy and technical tweaks.
- Chromium BSU - A fast paced, arcade-style, top-scrolling space shooter.
- Freedoom - A free and open source FPS game based on the Doom engine.
- Minetest - A free, open source voxel game engine and game, fun to build stuff in. Available as a Snap.
- OpenArena - A community-produced deathmatch FPS based on GPL idTech3 technology.
- OpenMW - An open source engine for The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Original game files required.
- OpenTTD - Transport Tycoon Deluxe as imagined by FOSS.
- Red Eclipse - A fun Arena shooter, available as an AppImage.
- Widelands - A Settlers-esq strategy open source strategy game.
- Xonotic - Free and fast arena shooter.
Web apps (open source)
- Draw.io - Same as the app version but available online.
- Hastebin - A free and open source alternative to Pastebin.
- HTMLhouse - A quick and easy webpage creation tool for people who like to code in HTML.
- Framapic - A free and open source image hosting service.
- Jitsi Meet - Video chat and conferencing.
- MultiTwitch - View multiple Twitch streams side-by-side, great for watching multiplayer streams.
- Neocities - Build simple websites with HTML (like this one).
- OpenStreetMap - FOSS's answer to Google Maps.
- Piskel - A pixel art image editor.
- PrivateBin - An open source Pastebin alternative with privacy enhancements.
- Reep.io - Peer-to-peer file tranfer through your browser, uses BitTorrent technology.
- SearX - Highly customisable, privacy respecting search engine front-end.
- Twitch stream RSS generator - Generates a RSS feed for your Twitch channel.
- Wordpress.com / Wordpress.org - One of the world most popular website building tools.
Web apps (closed source)
- Blogtrottr - Delivers updates from RSS feeds to your email inbox.
- MailForSpam - Receive email at a temporary address. Use it when signing up to certain websites to avoid spam.
- Temp Mail - Receive email at a temporary address. Use it when signing up to certain websites to avoid spam.
- TweetDelete.net - Lets you automatically delete Twitter posts that are older than a specified age.
- Ambient Mixer - Generate background audio to create your perfect environment using creative commons samples.
- DaFont - Large collection of fonts, searchable by licence.
- FreePD - A large library of public domain music.
- Incompetech - A large library of creative commons music.
- Pixabay - A large library of public domain images.
- PLiXS - Another large library of public domain images.
How-tos and fixes
- How to strip JPEG metadata in Ubuntu - A useful, brief guide to removing metadata from photos.
- An increasingly less-brief introduction to Mastodon - A useful guide to Mastodon and the Fediverse.
Mastodon Social tools
- Artodon - Mastodon.ART's art gallery.
- Brutaldon - A minimalist web interface for Mastodon, designed mostly for text only/command line browsers [project page].
- Halcyon - A webclient for Mastodon and Pleroma which looks like Twitter.
- Fediverse.network - Fediverse statistics.
- Fediverse.party - A Fediverse wiki (of sorts).
- Forget - A service that automatically deletes your old posts.
- Mastodon Network Overview - Lots of interesting data about the Fediverse.
- Mastodon Bridge - Find your Twitter friends on Mastodon.
- Mastodon instances - A directory of Mastodon instances.
- Mastodon Twitter Crossposter - Automatically posts your Mastodon toots to Twitter and vice versa.
- Mastodon scheduler - Schedule sending Mastodon toots.
- Mastofeed - Embed your timeline into your website.
- Mosto.Host - Create a Mastodon instance with this hosting service.
- Mastoview - View the timeline of any instance.
- Mastoview.glitch.me - Peek into any public Mastodon timeline.
- MOA - Automatically posts your Mastodon toots to Twitter and vice versa.
- Trending tags - Trending tags in the Fediverse.
- Pinafore - An alternative UI for Mastodon where you can use your existing Mastodon account.
- Tootle - A GTK based Mastodon desktop client [project page].
- Whalebird Desktop - An Electron based Mastodon client.