Chris Were's recommended apps and websites
Apps listed in this section are done so with Linux users in mind. Some may be available for other platforms but not all.
- Atom - Code editor: lots of useful features for coding, electron-based, available as a Snap.
- Audacity - Audio editor: looks ugly but has lots of features and isn't too difficult to use.
- Draw.io - A simple drawing and chart making program, available as an AppImage.
- Etcher - Burn IMG/ISO files to CD or USB, available as an AppImage.
- Firefox - My day-to-day browser of choice.
- GIMP - My photo and image editor of choice.
- Inkscape - Design and edit vector graphics (e.g. SVG and PDF files).
- Kdenlive - Video editor: reasonably advanced and full-featured, available as an AppImage.
- KeePassXC - One of the best password managers around. Available as an AppImage and as a Snap.
- Krita - A really full featured photo and image editor, available as an AppImage.
- LibreOffice - My office utils of choice, available as a Snap, Flatpak or AppImage.
- OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) - Screen recorder and livestreaming software.
- OpenShot - Video editor: fine for basic video editing, available as an AppImage.
- Peek - A simple app for recording small segments of your screen, available as an AppImage.
- SimpleScreenRecorder - Screen recorder: not as full-featured as OBS but a useful recorder nevertheless.
- RSS Guard - Nice, simple RSS reader available as an AppImage.
- VLC media player - Media player: plays almost any type of multimedia file. Available as a Snap. Third party AppImages can be found on GitHub here and here.
- Waterfox - A respin of FireFox with some ethical, privacy and technical tweaks.
- Minetest - A free, open source voxel game engine and game, fun to build stuff in. Available as a Snap.
- OpenMW - An open source engine for The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Original game files required.
- OpenTTD - Transport Tycoon Deluxe as imagined by FOSS.
- Red Eclipse - A fun Arena shooter, available as an AppImage.
- Widelands - A Settlers-esq strategy open source strategy game.
Web apps (open source)
- Draw.io - Same as the app version but available online.
- Hastebin - A free and open source alternative to Pastebin.
- Framapic - A free and open source image hosting service.
- Jitsi Meet - Video chat and conferencing.
- MultiTwitch - View multiple Twitch streams side-by-side, great for watching multiplayer streams.
- Neocities - Build simple websites with HTML (like this one).
- OpenStreetMap - FOSS's answer to Google Maps.
- Piskel - A pixel art image editor.
- Reep.io - Peer-to-peer file tranfer through your browser, uses BitTorrent technology.
- SearX - Highly customisable, privacy respecting search engine front-end.
- Twitch stream RSS generator - Generates a RSS feed for your Twitch channel.
- TwitRSS.me - Turns a twitter feed into an RSS feed.
- Wordpress.com / Wordpress.org - One of the world most popular website building tools.
Web apps (closed source)
- Ambient Mixer - Generate background audio to create your perfect environment using creative commons samples.
- DaFont - Large collection of fonts, searchable by licence.
- FreePD - A large library of public domain music.
- Incompetech - A large library of creative commons music.
- Pexels - A large library of public domain images.
How-tos and fixes
- How to strip JPEG metadata in Ubuntu - A useful, brief guide to removing metadata from photos.
- An increasingly less-brief introduction to Mastodon - A useful guide to Mastodon and the Fediverse.
Mastodon Social tools
- Fediverse.party - A Fediverse wiki (of sorts).
- Artodon - Mastodon.ART's art gallery.
- Mastodon Bridge - Find your Twitter friends on Mastodon.
- Mastodon instances - A directory of Mastodon instances.
- Mastodon Twitter Crossposter - Automatically posts your Mastodon toots to Twitter and vice versa.
- Mastodon scheduler - Schedule sending Mastodon toots.
- Mastofeed - Embed your timeline into your website.
- Mosto.Host - Create a Mastodon instance with this hosting service.
- Mastoview - View the timeline of any instance.
- MOA - Automatically posts your Mastodon toots to Twitter and vice versa.
- Trending tags - Trending tags in the Fediverse.